Whether you are in the market to buy, sell, or trade, chances are you will turn to the internet for help. This growing trend is evident with the increasing amount of websites that facilitate these transactions. Craiglist and Facebook are two of the more popular sites available. These sites encourage buyers and sellers to meet locally to avoid the hassle and time restraints of using the mail. While the vast majority of users are honest and safe, there is a chance that you could encounter someone with ill intentions. When using these sites, there are certain precautions that you should take to avoid being scammed or harmed in any way.
The Sunset Hills Police Department is also happy to provide you with a couple of safe zone options for these transactions. You are welcome to use our front parking lot(3905 S. Lindbergh). Also, feel free to use the lobby of the Police Department. If the doors are locked, you can ring the doorbell and someone will let you in, regardless of the time.
If you choose not to use the Internet Exchange Location, please keep the following in mind:
• Trust your instincts – if something does not feel right, leave.
• Don’t go alone-criminals do not like to be outnumbered.
• Insist on meeting in a public place.
• Do not invite strangers to your house, and do not go to theirs.
• Be cautious when buying/selling high value items.
• Perform all transactions during daylight hours.
• If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
• Tell a friend or family member about your intentions.
• Take your cell phone – we suggest calling a friend and keeping them on the phone while you are meeting the buyer/seller.