After you plea

If You Plead Guilty in Court

  • Sentence will be imposed that evening.
  • If you are unable to pay a fine, because you are indigent notify the Court upon entering your plea.  The Judge will consider your eligibility for reduced fines, community service or a payment plan.
  • Payment is expected the night of court; however the Court may allow you time to pay your fine.  If you are given an extension to pay the fine, you will receive a payment slip with a new Court date and the cashier will explain your payment options.  The payment slip is your commitment to appear and pay the fines and costs.  You are responsible to meet any and all deadlines, payment amounts and other sentencing guidelines. 
  • If you have not paid your fine and /or costs as instructed, then you must appear on the court date noted on the payment slip.   Failure to appear in Court on that date, may result in a warrant being issued for your arrest.

If You Plead Not Guilty

  • Due to the number of cases before the Court each month, and because of the need to have the officer and any witnesses present, your case cannot be heard on the night you enter your plea of not guilty.  You will be given a future court date for trial.
  • At trial, you have the right to testify or remain silent.
    • If you remain silent, it is not considered an admission of guilt.
    • If you testify, the judge may consider any statement you make in determining your guilt or innocence.
    • Whether the case is presented by an attorney or the defendant, all parties are held to the same standard of law and legal guidelines for presenting a case at trial.
    • Court clerks cannot assist you with preparation of your case.  If you do not hire an attorney, you will be responsible for knowing how to prepare your case, and present your case at trial.
    • You have the right to have subpoenas issued and served for witnesses on your behalf to appear at the trial.
      • You also have the right to question all witnesses who testify against you at the trial.
      • Your case is tried in Municipal Court on your court date.
        • If you are found not guilty, the case ends.
        • If you are found guilty, you may accept the Court’s decision or appeal your case to the Circuit Court of St. Louis County, where you will have a new trial with a different judge.  The request for appeal must be made within ten days of the Court’s decision and cannot be extended for any reason.  The filing fee for filing an appeal is $65.00  which will be sent to the Circuit Court of St. Louis County.

Contact Us

  1. Carol A. Lay

    Court Administrator
    Phone: 314.849.3402

    Linda Younglove
    Prosecuting Attorney Assistant

    3939 S. Lindbergh
    Sunset Hills, MO63127

     Monday - Friday
     8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

    Staff Directory